Saturday 23 August 2014

Doctor Who - Deep Breath Review

*WARNING - This contains major spoilers!*


Woah...

I haven't seen any negative comments about this episode at all yet. And that's because it was brilliant.

Where do I start? Let's start with Capaldi. He was, as predicted, perfect. He had just the right amount of everything at exactly the right times. This was also Jenna Coleman's best episode to date. I think she's finally found her Doctor. Matt Smith's cameo was also nice and well timed and executed, making the transition between the Doctors seem less sudden than it did when Matt Smith basically sneezed and turned into Peter Capaldi last Christmas.

Now onto Moffat. Some may hate him, but why would you now? This episode was perfectly paced, drew on elements of old and new and the idea for the monster was what he does best. Simple and brilliant. First we have the monster that you can't blink near, now we have one that you can't breathe near! I read an interview with Moffat recently where he described how in 2010 with the introduction of Smith, everything was a sudden change, and this time he wanted to make it more gradual - and I think this was a success. It was also not too arc heavy but kept the weekly viewer interested enough, which I thought was exactly what was needed.

And now onto my favourite part - the music. I can already see (well, hear) parts of music that are coming together to form the 12th Doctor's theme and I AM LOVING IT! It is based on 11's theme but is different enough to make it brand new. Murray Gold seems to get better with every series.

Other good parts - I like the new titles and theme very much (I know some people didn't, though. But, "Change my dear, and not a moment too soon" kind of rings true for me here) and the direction was also noteworthy.

One criticism? Probably Strax. He's funny enough, but after Jenny and Vastra had made their epic entrance to the basement of the SS Marie Antoinette I felt that his entrance sort of made what could have been a brilliant scene into a good one.

Overall a very very strong opening episode which promises much for the next 11...

9.5/10


Next week the Doctor and Clara literally go into a Dalek...

No comments:

Post a Comment