Tuesday 4 November 2014

Doctor Who - Dark Water Discussion

Yes, that's right. It says discussion. It's just too hard for me to review this episode given that it's less than half a story and that it's only just really got going. Suffice to say that I did very much enjoy it and I will still present some of my thoughts in this article.

Oh, and by the way, this most contains ENORMOUS SERIES SPOILERS.

Firstly, I would just like to make a bold statement. I managed to guess two things. Firstly was the reveal of who Missy really was, and second (but chronologically first) was that, as Danny was on the phone to Clara, I randomly said "what if he gets hit by a car now?". Lo and behold...

Anyway, enough boasting. What I really liked about this episode was its very "grown" up emotional and psychological content. I felt like what had been promised was delivered on, but I also loved how the character development (especially for Clara) also reached a sort of climax in the volcano scene. Steven Moffat did not shy away from showing character flaws, which I thought was a good idea. The dream patches offered a bit of an anti-climax, but I have a very strong feeling that they will be important later on in the story.

Capaldi and Coleman's acting was superb, and a special mention to Michelle Gomez who was outstanding as Missy. I can't wait to see more of her. Moffat succeeds here in almost recreating that iconic scene from "Tomb of the Cyberman" and together with Murray Gold's music, the reveal of the Cybermen was one of the most intense scenes we've ever had. By this point, the episode almost assumes you have guessed that the Cybermen were behind this - not to mention the enormous clue on the doors. It's just a shame, I feel, that the BBC ruined this by overpublicising their appearance in this episode before it aired in trailers and clips. It would have been a nice and very well put together surprise. Also, it's a shame that the BBC released a trailer making Clara look like she was evil, spoiling the surprise of her momentary betrayal. ANOTHER problem with the publicity of this episode is the preview clip, which was released a long time before the episode and featured the scene at the end right up until when Missy was about to reveal her identity. I wish they would think about the impact on the perception of the episode this kind of thing has.

I thought Moffat's 3 words were excellently creepy, but perhaps a little disrespectful to anybody who has had a bereavement. It was bold, I'll give him that.

Another standout actor is Samuel Anderson as Danny Pink. He excellently portrayed self loathing, regret and sadness in the scenes in heaven with Seb, played by Chris Addison, who was also fantastic.

All we can do now is wait until next week to find out what happens next. But let me know what you thought. I'll be with you next week for a full review and hopefully a discussion of what is to come at Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment