Wednesday 1 October 2014

Doctor Who - Time Heist Review

Here is proof that it's possible. Two really good episodes back to back - and the amazing thing about this one is that I wasn't expecting it to be a memorable one. (Pun sort of intended).

This episode really reminded me of "Hustle" in the way it played out. I thought that the heist genre worked really well with Doctor Who and now am actually rather surprised it's not been done before. What really stood out for me was not only this episode's fast pace and excitement but also its monster. A really original idea, used in a way which was dark enough for some serious threat - but that was also exciting.

The characterisation of the two sidekick characters (whose names I am not even going to attempt to spell) was also surprisingly well done given the time limit. Talking of the time limit, while this episode was fast-paced it yet again did not suffer or feel rushed. It did feel like the ending to the episode has been done before in "Hide" (an episode which I didn't like very much but is apparently rather popular), however this time I think it was used in a way which did not undermine the Tellar, as it did with the Crooked Man, but instead made me want to see more of this episode's monster.

Together with exciting direction and a fast moving score, this script worked amazingly well. It's just a shame it had to follow last week's.

My only niggles? Well, the "death" thing actually DID look like a teleport so it was easily guessable. Apart from that I was surprised by most of the reveals towards the end, even though in hindsight they were fairly obvious. I also thought the very first scene was a little bit weird with the time vortex turning into a washing machine, but that's just personal opinion...

9/10

Next week the Doctor becomes the caretaker of Coal Hill School

No comments:

Post a Comment